Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My YouTube Video (Summation Post)

When I first began this project, I didn't have much hope for getting a lot of views. I had never posted anything on YouTube before and despite reading up on how to get a lot of views, I was still unsure that I was going to get a lot of views or a lot of comments. By the end of this process, I guess my worries were correct. As of 4:15 today, I had 225 views of my video. To be completely honest, I was impressed with this number. I actually expected it to be far lower than it was, and when I saw that number I was really excited. I posted the link to my video on my Facebook page and had it up as a status for few days. I was hoping that people would see that and go on and view the video, which from what I can tell I believe they did.

Unfortunately the only comments I managed to get were from my friends. Of course I'm not going to complain about getting comments, but I would have loved to have seen some random comments from people I don't know on YouTube telling me how awful the video was or how much they liked it. For me, negative criticism from someone who I don't know a thing about is far more useful to me because that type of criticism isn't censored and really tells you what you can change and improve upon.

In terms of YouTube, I don't think I've ever used it as much as I have over these last few weeks. When this whole process started I only used YouTube when people sent me a link. But since posting my video I've been on YouTube checking how many views my video has had and while doing that I found myself viewing videos on YouTube's homepage and enjoying what I've found. I even found a program that allows me to take YouTube videos from online and save them to my computer and iPod for later viewing. Relating back to the comments on YouTube, I thought it was really cool that you could directly respond to comments rather than just throw one out there and have the viewers have no idea who your comment was to.

This YouTube assignment has been a really good experience for me in terms of seeing just how important a resource YouTube really is. I never really thought much about it before, but now that I've been on there quite a lot it seems like a very interesting platform as multimedia news reporting surpasses traditional print forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment