Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wikipedia Post

Wikipedia has been one of the most important resources for me on the internet. If I’ve ever had a question regarding historical facts or even something as simplistic as who was on the Red Sox’ 2004 roster, Wikipedia has the answers. I had never tried editing a Wiki page on my own, but doing so was a very interesting experience.

For starters, I decided to try posting something on the page of my hometown. It’s one place that I know a lot about so I figured if there was any chance of my post remaining up it would be there. So, I went to the page and decided to edit the ‘Notable Residents’ category and specifically the information about Bill Russell and Chris Pizzoti. Unfortunately none of the edits remained on Wikipedia so that was a bit of a failure.

The next page I decided to edit was the University of Massachusetts page. For this one I didn’t pick any particular category to edit and felt it would be easiest to contribute a few facts spread out around the page. Once again no luck with any of my information staying on the page but it was interesting trying to edit the information about the university I attend.

The last page I tried to edit was the NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Championship. I figured since March Madness was on my mind. I had heard some rumors about how the field may be expanded next year. So I went onto the page and found a place where I thought a good edit of this would be. This post surprisingly stayed up for a decent amount of time. I checked back 12 hours later and the post was still there. However later the next day the post was gone. I was so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment