Tuesday, March 9, 2010

John Ziegler vs. Other Radio Hosts

John Ziegler sounds like many of the talk show radio hosts I’ve listened to in my life. Most of these hosts are trying to do exactly what Ziegler does which is to stimulate and entertain his or her audience. Talk show hosts realize that if they don’t do this they won’t have a job for very long.

Television and radio talk shows come across as places where audiences are very difficult to maintain. The vast amount of channels and various personalities make it very hard for any particular host to try and maintain a large fan base. As the piece says about Ziegler, he is hosting a radio show at a time of night in a locale very non-conducive to large audiences. So the more outlandish and controversial his program is the more people in his audience are likely to talk about it, which in turn draws in new listeners.

In terms of his antics, Ziegler seems just like any other radio personality I can picture. Every time I listen to a talk show host getting really into the topic he’s talking about all I can picture is him or her flailing their arms around and screaming at their microphone. In a way though I actually appreciate this sort of imagery. I’m a typical radio listener who wants the host to be passionate about what he or she is talking about and not some boring, out of touch, old man sitting behind a desk blandly telling me what’s going on in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment